Compare Public Liability Insurance for
Sole Traders

  • Compare Free Quotes

  • Buy Online, No Paperwork

  • Get Instant Cover

Operating as a sole trader is a great option for people who are natural leaders, show initiative, or simply prefer to be their own bossHowever, there is a price to this added freedom – when things go wrong, your business could be at stakeAn unplanned event could potentially be very costlyThe right type of business insurance can protect your business against financial damage should the unexpected happen. 

A key type of insurance that is popular amongst sole traders is Public Liability Insurance. Public Liabilityinsurance* covers legal fees and compensation costs if a customer, member of the public, or a supplier sues you for injury or damage to their property as a result of your alleged negligent business activity.  

Other Insurances 

Every business requires a unique insurance package. This can vary across industries and professions. For example, a pastry chef and a dog breeder will have very different insurance needsDifferent professions also require different locations, tools, assets and processes to ensure that they do a thorough job. 

Your industry may be the subject of minimum mandatory insurance requirements. This could be an industry standard or it could even be required by law. This is not unusual for sole traders who are professionals or experts in their field, such as architects, surveyors, just to name a few examples.  

Whether you own your own building, work onsite or work remotely, with Business Insurance* you can go about your business with peace of mind knowing that your assets are insured. Assets can include your business’s premises, contents and stock, and business insurance can even cover interruptions to your business. 

Another common type of insurance for sole traders who provide advice, or a service is Professional Indemnity insurance*. Professional Indemnity insurance protects you against losses claimed by a third party due to alleged or actual negligence or errors in your professional services or advice.  Your Professional Indemnity insurance will meet the associated compensation payable to a third party together with your defence costs (which can include legal costs, investigator costs and expert fees). 

Protect your business today.

Industries & Occupations 

We can arrange cover for sole traders in over 6000 occupations. Below is just a small snapshot of some of them: 


  • Accountants
  • Aged Care & Disability Workers
  • Bookkeepers & BAS Agents
  • Beauty Services
  • Carpenters
  • Cleaners
  • Consultants
  • Electricians
  • Handyman
  • IT Professionals
  • Lawn Mowing Services
  • Massage Therapists
  • Migration Agents
  • Painters
  • Personal Trainers
  • Plumbers
  • Real Estate Agents
  • Tax Agents
  • Yoga Teachers


If your profession or occupation is not listed, just  click hereto find your occupation and industry

Need more info? Helpful articles below
PL for hospitality and restaurant businesses
Hospitality, Restaurant
How much does Public Liability insurance cost for hospitality and restaurant businesses?

When it comes to calculating the cost of Public Liability insurance premiums for hospitality and…

Beauty Salon, Hairdresser, Hospitality
Why do hairdressers need insurance?

You’ve spent countless hours building up your experience within the hairdressing industry and now the…

Handyman, Trades
What you need to know about Handyman insurance in Australia

A jack-of-all-trades, Mr ‘fix it’, as a handyman you have many names and wear many…